It’s getting hotter by the day down here in the south and when the temperatures rise I just love something light and fresh. One of my favorites right now is any kind of lettuce wrap. I have been buying romaine lettuce like it is going out of style. It’s so crisp and refreshing and SO easy to turn into an open face taco. Today, I am bringing you a vegan, gluten-free, chickpea taco recipe with creamy avocado. This taco is SO fresh and SO summer!
There is something magical when you combine ingredients like chickpeas, cabbage, avocado, peppers, cilantro and a touch of spice. Also, chickpeas are high on the list of foods that are good for you and provide plenty of protein. Whenever I feel like I need a little protein or iron boost, I always add some chickpeas to my meal and they never fail to restore my energy.
One of the other things I love about these tacos…they come together in a quick 15-20 minutes and they are seriously amazing! Slightly mashed chickpeas are tossed with carrots, cabbage, red onion, scallions jalapeno pepper, cilantro, chili powder and lime juice. I topped mine with some sliced avocado but I bet some homemade guacamole would be even better!
Another added benefit, the mixtures keeps beautifully in the fridge and leftovers are just as delicious. Enjoy a fresh and light taco on these hot summer days!
- 1 15oz. can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 3 cups shredded cabbage green or red
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- ½ cup thinly sliced red onion
- ½ cup seeded and diced jalapeno pepper
- ½ cup seeded and diced red pepper
- ½ cup sliced green onion
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- sea salt to taste
- 4-6 romaine lettuce leaves
- 1 avocado pitted and sliced
- In a large bowl, smash the chickpeas with a fork and sprinkle with chili powder.
- Add the cabbage, carrot, red onion, peppers, green onion cilantro, and lime juice.
- Divide the salad mixture among the romaine lettuce leaves. One leaf per taco.
- Top each taco with sliced avocado or make your own guacamole.