Okay, in keeping with our football-friendly foods I thought I would pass along a delicious veggie burger. I can’t tell you how many times we have been invited to football get-togethers and they are serving burgers and hot dogs. The hosts usually ask what they can make for me? These veggie burgers have been such a life-saver! I keep the burgers in my freezer so I can just take them with me when going to a tailgate party or a cookout. Not only is it a healthy option for me but it also takes pressure off the host because they don’t have to worry about making something special for me.
This is another delicious recipe that I have adapted from, you guessed it, the Oh She Glows cookbook. Anglea Liddon mentions that she and her husband liked this burger the best because of its texture. I completely agree. I love the fact that it has a little crunch because of the pepita and sunflower seeds. It is not your typical veggie burger which is why I like it. It has a great flavor and I especially love it with some onion and mustard! Another added bonus: this burger is LOADED with healthy ingredients!
Freezer Friendly Veggie Burger
- 1 flaxseed egg 1 tbsp ground flaxseed with 3 tbsp water – let it set until an egg like texture is formed
- 1 15oz can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 large cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red or yellow onions
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup pepita seeds
- 3/4 cup gluten-free oats processed into a flour (using a food processor)
- 1/2 cup gluten-free oats
- 1/ extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp tamari or coconut aminos coconut aminos does not contain soy
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix black beans in a food processor. Mix until a paste forms but leave a few beans intact for texture.
- Mix black beans and the remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Add the flaxseed egg mixture. Stir all together.
- Add seasonings and adjust to taste if necessary.
- With slightly wet hands, shape the dough into 8 patties.
- Cooking options: Bake for 15 minutes, then flip them and bake for another 15-20 minutes. OR prebake for 15 minutes then place them on the grill. Grill on each side for a few minutes until golden.
- Don’t forget to freeze any unused patties!